Pet owners who are concerned with their pet cat about their smells this article would help them decide if their cat is healthy or they should consult a veterinarian. Cats are known for their cleanliness. So a cat to smell bad is a serious problem. Although it might not always be some serious issues. Unless they smell bad for some obvious reasons you need not worry.
Reasons for Bad Smell in cats:
Cats are usually always grooming themselves.they like to stay clean so if they unusually start smelling bad there can be some certain issues. Several things are taken under consideration regarding the bad odor from cats like kidney disease, liver disease, intestinal blockage, wounds, allergies, parasites, cancer, immune disorders, bacterial infections, yeast infections etc. Other than these there can be bite wounds from another cat which develops an abscess. When the abscess ruptures it omits a bad smell as the pus drains. Ear infections, allergy, polyps, ear, mite infestation can also be the cause of bad odor in cats. Sometimes the cat can’t self groom for reasons like arthritis, obesity, systemic illness, diarrhea, UTI etc.
Why does my Cat Smell like Fish?
There are many reasons as to why a cat smells like fish. These reasons can be from highly dangerous to just a day into the dustbin. For example the causes can be as frightning as feline lukemia but it can also be that the cat just ate a can of stinky fish. Most common cause is Dental disease or periodontal disease. It begins with the tartar building up on the surface of the cat’s teeth forming a plaque. This plaque slowly becomes thicker and more solid. This thick layer starts irritating the gum tissues. This causes the tissues to recede causing the infection.
Why does my cat smell like Urine?
The reason behind it can be an urinary tract infection. When bacteria infects the cat’s urethra(through the urethra to the bladder) it causes UTI or Urinary Tract Infection. It results in urine difficulties. Blood in urine, often urinating, crying in pain while urinating are the symptoms of UTI. Treatment can be anti-inflammatory and pain medications such as Amitriptyline, Buprenex, and Prednisone. Other than this, medications that help the urinary bladder are recommended for UTIs. If your cat litters more than usual or cries out while going or frequently cleans the bottom area more than usual get him checked by a veterinarian. UTIs are most common among cats who are obese. Other causes can be tumor or hormonal disorder etc.
Why does my cat have Bad Breath?
Bad breaths are often the result of periodontal disease. Bad breath, toothache, bright red gums, loose teeth, receding gums, tender gums, or tooth loss are the symptoms of dental disease. When plaque and tartar gather on their teeth, if their gums swell up or teeth become loose all these can be the cause of bad oral smell. Oral tumors are also a significant reason for bad breath. Keep checking the smell of your cat’s mouth and see if the breath has changed its smell. Immediately go to vet. Cats are very good at hiding illnesses. They don’t show it until it becomes too painful to bear. So keep ur loved one under ur servaillance. Avoid feeding it sweet things and brush its teeth if it let’s you. Because not all cats like the idea of someone fiddling in their mouth. They might try to resist or they might bear with it. Just don’t force but give occasional cleaning as it is very necessary.
Which is the best cat food for odor control?
Choosing a healthy eating habit for your cat may help control the odor. Foods from Grocery stores use corn, soy other ingredients that upset the stomach.
- Always choose high quality food products that are easily digestible. Brown rice, vegetables, fish are easy on the digestive system of the cats.
- With proper diet a dose of probiotics like saccharomyces cerevisiae can maintain the gut microbiome. It will help the digestive system to absorb more nutrients leaving less litter box messes. You can also check out diets involving “good gut bacteria”
- There is a supplement named Yucca extract which helps to reduce bad odor by breaking down proteins.
Getting rid of bad smells in cats
We humans bathe everyday to keep ourselves clean. Cats also need cleaning every couple of days. They get messy easily as they have a habit of loitering around. They can visit various dirty places and you don’t want those germs in contact with you. It can be harmful for babies too. Using enzyme cleaners is a recommended way to clean the bad smell left by the cats. Other than that you can take half water and half vinegar then spread that only in those places where you kitty has left a smell or left urine. Cats mark their territory by peeing on things so it’s not impossible for you to find urine smell in a couple of places in your house. Products that are good for cats:
- Puracy Multi-Surface Cleaner
- Seventh Generation Laundry Detergent
- Common Good Pet-Safe Laundry Detergent
- Nature’s Miracle Deep Cleaning Carpet Shampoo
- Clean + Green Fabric Refresher
- SpotAway Pet-Safe Glass Cleaner
- PetSimplicity “Whizz Away” Stain & Odor Remover.
How can I make my house not smell like cat?
The litter boxes are the source of the cat odor.
- Regular scooping, changing the litter and cleaning the boxes will neutralize odors.
- Keep multiple litter boxes. As cats can be possessive about their territory 2 boxes per cat are recommended.
- You can use air purifiers to suppress the odor. However, room freshners are not advisable as it irritates most of the cats and also not good for their health.
- When the cat litters on the carpet, use enzyme cleaners or vinegar mixed water to clear out the foul stench.
These are the couple of ideas for your house and your cat. To keep both clean and out of danger keep a close eye and nurture with care. Cats can be feisty but when they love, they love. As the matter of bad smell from your cat is concerned, notice where the stench is coming from, keep track of it and then consult a veterinarian if needed.